Monday, September 25, 2006

Where are they now?

I know that my faithful readers wait anxiously at their mailboxes every two weeks, or they constantly search the Bulletin website for my latest piece of captivating prose. Of course, I'm only jesting; however, to further increase this air of anticipation, I have decided to intersperse several new items of a somewhat different genre with my regular "Staying in Touch" column.

I could not write this column without the encouraging emails I receive each week from former residents who have found a new solace in relating tranquil memories of living in Tryon and Polk County.

Beginning with this column, I will attempt to update the lives of these newly found friends with a "Where are they now?" section.

I will begin this series with my e-mail buddy, Linda Merrick Frieze. Linda left Tryon in 1966. She is presently living in Gaffney, South Carolina, but in October, she and her husband will be renting a house in Tryon while they build a new home in Gaffney.

Linda and her husband Jim Frieze have a daughter and son-in-law, Chris and Laura Bright Price and their daughters, Rebecca and Kate; a son and daughter-in-law, Carter and Tracy Bright and their daughters, Sarah, Hannah, Caroline, and Addison; a son and daughter-in-law Barry and Eileen Bright and their son James; and one stepson, Lee Frieze.

Some of Linda's fondest memories are of her days at the Lake Lanier Tea House. As a toddler, her father, Anson, was a lifeguard there, and her mother, Joy, would go there often to swim.

As a teenager, Linda went swimming and canoeing there while her parents visited Alice, Theo, and Ted Kerhulas. In later years, when the Tea House was open year-round, the restaurant became a gathering place for many of Linda's family and friends.

The Tea House became Linda and Jim's place to celebrate their anniversary. Linda also enjoys reminiscing about another local landmark – Missildine's Drug Store. She has visions of ordering ice cream sodas and grilled ham sandwiches. She recalls sitting on a little low bench and reading comic books without the store owner objecting. Finally, she cherishes her memories of sitting in Missildine's at a little round table with friends and family. It was the place to gather after school and on Saturday.

I appreciate the help that Linda has given me in writing my columns and hope she will continue to sent me her wonderful memories of Tryon and Polk County. Look for former Tryonites and Polk County residents of the past in future columns. Until then, stay in touch. s.hefner@comcast.net or shefner@savcps.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home