Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Elmo and Bill's boys


I know that many young men across the nation have been guided down the path to success and otherwise inspired by their high school coaches. In Tryon during the sixties and early seventies, the boys who graduated from the gridiron were blessed with a double dose of inspiration and guidance from two coaches, Elmo Neal, the head coach and Bill Barry, his assistant.

Last week I received a heartfelt e-mail from my buddy Linda Frieze. She had gone to Doctor McCall's dental office in Tryon, and had met Elmo Neal in the waiting area. She mentioned Newt Raft, Kip Vosburgh, and several other former Tryon Tigers to Coach Neal. Though he was obviously under the weather and not in the best of health, Coach Neal perked up at Linda's mentioning of his former players and had stories to tell about them and other players he had coached at Tryon High School. Like a father hearing about long lost sons, Neal referred to each player as, "one of my boys."

Coach Neal told Linda a poignant story about one of his favorite players, quarterback Andy Hancock. Andy graduated from Tryon High School in 1965 and played college football at Furman University. After graduating from Furman, he played professional baseball with the Washington Senators' organization. Andy Hancock passed away in 2000. Coach Neal struggled as he told Linda that Andy had died in his arms.

I relayed their conversation to my brother, Kim Hefner, who lives in Spindale. I graduated before Coach Neal arrived at Tryon High School. However, Kim played for him in the late sixties. Kim was an imposing figure at six feet tall and well over 200 pounds. He fondly recalls those days when he and Rick Gosnell played for the tigers. The teams were always competitive under Coach Neal and would have gone further in the state playoffs during his tenure had it not been for the Andrews High School Wildcats, a perennial powerhouse. I wonder if Tryon ever beat them.

My brother spoke highly of Coach Neal, and he especially remembered Neal's Assistant and friend, Bill Barry. Coach Barry was like a father to my brother as well as to the other players. I am not certain, but I think Coach Barry coached the team's defense, the side of the ball on which my brother excelled. Bill was a tough taskmaster making men out of boys, but the players knew that, in his heart, he loved each one of them. The team members were devastated when he died very suddenly and unexpectedly.

Coach Neal talked to Linda about the night that Bill Barry died. They had been out of town together. They left in separate cars to return home. When Coach Neal drove into his driveway his neighbors had already gathered in his front yard to inform him of the tragedy. Apparently, Bill Barry had died of a stroke or heart attack while driving home.

I was moved by Linda's e-mail and I hope that this column brings back pleasant memories to the boys who played for these two great coaches. I hope to hear from others who knew or played ball for Coach Elmo Neal and Coach Bill Barry. These two men coached the game of football, but more importantly, they taught the game of life. They never won a state championship at Tryon High School, but their influence on the lives of "their boys" places both of them in my humanity hall of fame.

s.hefner@comcast.net

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Linda Rawlins said...

Steve, It takes me back to hear "stuff" about Tryon. Linda Frieze and I communicate lots, but it always does me good to hear other things. I graduated in '65 with Andy, Newt, and Rickey G., etc., and we were a close class and still have lots who come back to reunions. Larry Phillips keeps us in contact.
I love to read your columns. Keep doing what you do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home