Friday, February 16, 2007

Old and new connections

I know it will be heartbreaking for my avid readers (both of them), but I have come down with that horrible disease called a writer’s block this month. Hopefully, a few days of reading the bulletin and a memory pill or two will cure this illness. In the meantime, I will rely on comments from you, the reader, to fill the void. Actually, you are the true writers of this column.

Charlie Fishburne sends me his memories of Coach Frank Maennle. Charlie writes:

Frank Maennle left a big imprint on my life. He was a too-tough football coach who made even marginal players, like me, better than they should have been. His practice sessions were so brutal, any game, with any opponent seemed like a picnic. He had a kind streak, for all of that… and I remember his smile like a brief shaft of sunlight over a stormy sea. His few compliments are burned in my soul forever. I was in that history class, too… Steve.

Remember how he said he graded those reports… he tossed the papers down a flight of stairs and gave the best marks to those that sailed the farthest. I thought he was joking!

He was hired from a state champion small school in Western Carolina somewhere, to resuscitate a flagging Tryon Tiger program, and so few players turned out that first year, he barely had enough to field a team. It must have been tough for him. I guess I really liked Frank Maennle…
and didn’t realize it until now.

I also heard from Phillip “Buck” Preston. I wrote an earlier column about his father, Dr. John Z. Preston, who was my childhood physician. In the column I wrote about Dr. Preston’s being on the Tryon School Board and about his dedication to education. Ironically, Phillip became and still is a distinguished English teacher at Polk County High School.

Virgina Splawn Green sent some nice words about the column. Virginia lived in Columbus and graduated from Tryon High School in 1958. She had a brother, Walter and two sisters, Harriette (who graduated with me), and Margaret. Her mother taught at Tryon Elementary School. Virginia has lived in Tampa, Florida since 1970. Thanks for the kind words, Virginia.

Finally, I am seeking some information on 1961 graduate of Tryon High School, Martha Troxler. Martha was an excellent girl’s basketball player and several readers have inquired about her.

Well, the writer’s block seems to be healing. Maybe, the illness was psychosomatic. I just need to get in touch with my readers. Until the next column, keep your e-mails coming in s.hefner@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home