Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A search has ended


In January of this year, I wrote an article about former Tryon High School football coach, Frank Maennle (“Searching for Coach Maennle”). I had received an email from his nephew, John Heffner, who was trying to locate his long lost uncle. After the article was published, several readers wrote me about their fond memories of Coach Maennle when he coached in Tryon; however, the memory trail went cold after he left Tryon.

The search ended several weeks ago when I received an email from Danny Whatley. Danny is married to Sandra Summey a former Tryonite whose father still lives in Tryon. Mr. Whatley is a retired educator who was principal of Swain County High School in Bryson City. Danny informs me that two of Coach Maennle’s sons taught and coached for him at the school. Frank Jr. taught Physical Education and coached football. Steve Maennle taught mathematics and coached football and baseball.

After reading my article about Frank Sr. Danny saw Frank Jr. at a softball game at Polk County High School, and asked him about his father. Frank Jr. stated that after leaving Tryon High School, Coach Maennle went to West Mecklenberg High School, a large school in Charlotte. He coached in Charlotte for several years and then returned to coach at Andrews High School. This is somewhat ironic since Andrews High School was Tryon High School’s football nemesis for many years in the 1960’s.

Unfortunately, Coach Maennle passed away in 1977. At the time of his death, he had five children, all under the age of seventeen. Danny wrote that Coach Maennle would be proud of his children. Mr. Whatley’s own son was coached by both Frank Jr. and Steve at Swain High School.

My search for Coach Maennle had ended. Then to my pleasant surprise I received the following email last week:

Hello, my name is Beth Maennle and the coach you are referring to was my grandfather. Unfortunately, I never knew him, but his wife and his 5 children are still living in Andrews and Bryson City, NC. I read your blog to my dad, and he got a real kick out of it, especially of your memories of the coach’s history lessons. Tomorrow I will share it with the rest of my family (his mom, siblings, and so on) at lunch. I think it was a real blessing for my dad to hear some of your memories. He was a teenager when his father passed away from Hodgkin’s. Thank you!

It made my search worthwhile.

s.hefner@comcast.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home