Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Far away Wolverine fan wants photos

This week I digress from my usual "remember when" column to express a personal concern.
One year ago I wrote a column about the old days when Tryon High School football games were played on Friday night at Harmon Field (see "End Zoning", August 2006).
Now, I have become a far away high school football fan, and have been following the Polk County High School "Wolverines" for two years now.
Each Saturday morning I eagerly google the internet for news of another great Polk County win. My first stop is usually the "Asheville Citizen Times" online edition.
There, if I am lucky, there will be a short blurb with the score and one or two sentences about how each team scored. Of course this recap is hidden beneath numerous paragraphs about the "big school" teams in and around Asheville whether they won their game or not. Even smaller schools like Cherokee, Swain, and Andrews (Polk county has beaten two of these teams this year) have numerous game photos posted each week.
I have yet to see one picture of the Wolverines in action. I guess three wins over tough competition and a state ranking mean very little to the Asheville sports writers.
To get any statistics about the Wolverine's game I usually am forced to go to the "Charlotte Observer" online or the NCHSAA website. I would like to see Polk County fans flood the "Asheville Citizen Times" sports department with game photos and demands for better coverage (I have written a letter to the editor).
If their reporters are afraid to take the short drive down the mountain or too elitist to do so, Polk's proud parents and coaches should send the photos to them.
Maybe that would force them to give a little recognition to one of the best teams in Western North Carolina.
I would if I had a long, long telescopic lens. Go Wolverines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home