Thursday, July 19, 2007

Remembering ‘Benny's’ – a Landrum landmark


Long before the advent of Wal-Mart, The Dollar Store, or Kmart, Landrum had its own establishment that featured good values and low priced goods. The store was located on North Trade Avenue, left of highway 176, just before the railroad crossing into Landrum. The large residence-looking building was the home of Benny's Salvage Store. On many Saturdays my mother would pack my brother and me into our 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air to go shopping at Benny's.

If I remember correctly, Benny's specialized in women's apparel but was a "soup to nuts" store that carried many other items. On the way back home my mother would brag out loud about the money she had saved by shopping at Benny's in lieu of Belk's or Sears Roebuck.

Benny Wolfe was the proud owner of Benny's Salvage Store. He was a short Jewish man who reminded me somewhat of the famous actor, James Cagney. Benny's most notable trademark was the cigar that he always had in his mouth. The stogie was sometimes lit and sometimes it was unlit. Benny would talk to people with the cigar still in his mouth, waving up and down as he spoke.

Benny Wolfe seemed to be a kind and honest man. He knew everyone by name and was a constant fixture in the store aisles relishing in talking to his customers. He would honestly describe his wares pointing out their value as well as any flaws they might have. Benny and his wife ran the store along with their son, Benny Jr., and their daughter, Claudia. Benny also had a stepdaughter named Johnnie Mae. I remember Benny Jr. as a handsome young man who was taller than his father. I understand that he was also a D.J. for WTYN radio for awhile. I knew Claudia in the 1960s during my college days. She and I double dated with my old buddy Jack Layne and Gloria Belue, a friend of Claudia's from Landrum. Claudia was (and I am certain still is) a beautiful young lady with big, dark eyes.

Recently, I was updated on the Wolfe family through Claudia and her longtime friend and Landrum classmate, Greer Prevatte.

Unfortunately, Benny, his wife and two of his children are no longer living.
Claudia Wolfe Bouye lives in Columbia, South Carolina. She is blessed with three children and four grandchildren. Ironically, she has been associated with the Belk's Department Store for many years. It was great to her from her again after so many years.

Benny's Salvage Store was truly a Landrum landmark and Benny Wolfe was an unforgettable character. I hope that this column brings back many fond memories for those of us who shopped there many years ago.

mail to: s.hefner@comcast.net

Be certain to read my other columns at www.tryondailybulletin.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home