Monday, February 25, 2008

‘Granny’ came to town to trade gossip, squirrel meat

To paraphrase a quote from the movie, Poltergeist, “I’m baaack”! It seems that I have had writer’s block for many weeks, and I hope that all of my faithful readers (or should I say both of them) will forgive me for my hiatus. I have finally cured my touch of writing lethargy by once again returning to my childhood memories of Tryon and Polk County. Forgive me if the next several columns are not up to my standard of mediocrity! But here goes...
There were many “community characters” that crossed my path as a child, and when I use the term, “character” I mean it most respectfully. I remember one such character who would walk down the mountain several times a week to distribute her unusual wares in our neighborhood around the old home ice plant on highway 176.
Everyone knew her only as “Granny.” I never knew her last name. I vaguely picture her as being a tall, lanky woman who dressed in black and had a silver coiffure accented by a large bun in back. Several times a week she would come treading down the hill on 176. Her first stop was usually at my grandmother’s house. There, she and my grandmother would trade everything from gossip to groceries – especially groceries.
Granny’s body was a walking store. A multitude of items hung from her belt and from various strings and hooks attached to her clothes. Of the many items that she hawked, I vividly remember three: squirrels, rabbits, and collard greens. Granny would often have four or five squirrels, still with their skins attached, tied to a string and slung over her back. An occasional rabbit would sweeten the pot. My grandmother would purchase one or the other to make delicious squirrel or rabbit dumplings.
After their transaction, the two elderly ladies would sit on the front porch and talk about who was ill, who had died, and who had “backslid” at church. Then Granny would leave to visit the next house on her list of customers. Years later, I learned of Granny’s death or at least someone told me that they had not seen her in years. I would like to hear from someone out there who can give me her name. The squirrel lady deserves that.
From the email bag:
•I received an email from Andrew Dyson, the grandson of Coach Elmo Neal. He expressed his appreciation of the article (Elmo and Bill’s Boys) about his “Poppie”. Andrew tells me that even though Coach Neal is not in the best of health, he perks up at the mention of Tryon and football. Coach Neal loves to hear from his former players. His mailing address is 603 Millbrook Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29301. Great to hear from you, Andrew.
•I received an email from Sue Wilson. She mentions that she and other classmates have enjoyed my columns calling them a “mini reunion”. Sue notes that the Tryon High School class of ’63 has scheduled their 45th reunion at Harmon Field on June 21, 2008. She also wants to get in touch with Nancy Wilkins, a member of that class. Help her out if you know Nancy’s whereabouts. Thanks Sue.
Keep those emails coming in. at s.hefner@comcast.net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home